Page

Tales of Budget Warlords - Month 2

Written by George Kleanthous / 20.08.2019 / Views

Tales of Budget Warlords - Month 2


It’s the second month for our Budget Warlords to hunt down the best deals and add some troops to our Budget Army.

For some of our lists the second month means we needed to work on a unit whilst for others it meant working on a regiment.

Here are how our Budget Warlords did for Month 2



Jamie:

So this month I started on my first Regiment choice and for me it was ‘Archers’

After looking around it became clear that for thrift that plastic was the way to go and ‘Gripping Beast’ was the way to go with my army being ‘Late Romano/British’

I started with searching out for bases that I could multibase on and still remove the minis to be able to use them for other games.

After a loooong search the best value was from ‘animalis20’ on eBay. A very responsive seller who I would highly recommend.

So here is my army so far. It’s building nicely!




Dan:

Month two, and I finally got round to assembling and painting some units. Since buying the Barbarian box and the hero, I created the first unit to make my Kings of War army legal: a Regiment of Headhunters. This is a special Historical unit, and they carry javelins. Combined with their special rules that let them re-roll 1’s to wound and cause the enemy to take a negative check to their Nerve test, they are an instant pick.

Having a Regiment allows me one of two options: Hero or War Machine (in the main rules you also have the option of a Monster). Since every army needs a leader, I opted for a General. This model usually comes with two dogs, but I have something special lined up for them!

I made the bases out of 1.5mm plasticard (in hindsight they bend a little, so MDF would be a better option) and then applied layers of 3mm cork. Then I glued the models in place, flocked the base and primed the full model in black. After two shades of brown were dry brushed over the Model, I painted the models to a gaming standard. To add to their rough-and-ready look, I dabbed some brown onto the models themselves, to give them that grubby look. I purposely kept the hero cleaner.

I made as start on my next submission (you’ll see that next month) and will look at what’s left before deciding on the last unit.


 

Ric:

When I was planning what I needed and the cheapest way to do it i had a bit of a result. Warlord games were having a clearance of their 'Test of Honor' stuff and a starter box was £15 plus postage! That's £20 for 20 spear men, 10 missile troops and 5 samurai. Unfortunately, life got in the way of my modelling plans this month so my first unit is Dan:

I made the bases out of 1.5mm plasticard (in hindsight they bend a little, so MDF would be a better option) and then applied layers of 3mm cork. Then I glued the models in place, flocked the base and primed the full model in black. After two shades of brown were dry brushed over the Model, I painted the models to a gaming standard. To add to their rough-and-ready look, I dabbed some brown onto the models themselves, to give them that grubby look. I purposely kept the hero cleaner.

I made as start on my next submission (you’ll see that next month) and will look at what’s left before deciding on the last unit



Bill:

For month #2, I decided on doing the archers from both of my armies.

Suitable Greek archers were easy to find online. Painting them is pretty straight forward. I just went with simple white garments with red trim. Red fletching.

Decent Goblin archers were more of a challenge. I couldn’t find sets of ONLY archers.  I eventually did, with some Warhammer Archers. I don’t especially like these figures, as they all have the same pose and are boringly generic. But, I got a dozen them off eBay very inexpensively. All of the other archers that I found were at least 2-3 times more expensive to get as many as I needed. So, WH archers it is. I’m finding it hard to paint these guys though.

My Mastiff unit is done.

My other challenge this month was that I was going to try to paint using an airbrush. I bought a cheap Ikea table and used the box that it came in to make a makeshift airbrush booth on top of that table. I later lined it with foam core to give it more strength. I seem to have priming miniatures with it ok, but actually trying to paint with it is a lot more challenging. I ended up making a huge mess of it all. So it’s back to all brush work for me now.

I’ve never really had to assembly line paint miniatures before. I made holders that I could put 3 figures on each of them. That made them seem more manageable and faster to paint. I’m still figuring out how I want to do the bases across each entire army. Maybe a rug or something.



 


George:

With my Heroes done for my Arthurian army it was now time to work on the bulk of it.

This month was time to work on a Unit (which is only 10 models) and with Kings of War’s 50% +1 rule I only needed 6 models to pick up. I chose archers for my 10-man unit and was fortunate to pick up 6 Medieval Archers from Perry Miniatures which I managed to pick up on Ebay for £5!

With the miniatures out of way I now had to hunt down 20mm MDF bases and movement trays which I also managed to find on Ebay for cheap:

1x 5x2 MDF Movement Tray from Frontier Gaming for £3.80 & £2.30 for postage

And 50 MDF 20mm square bases for £3.90 with free postage

So overall I spent a whopping £15 on the unit and bases for not only them but also the rest of my army (which will be 2 regiments)

The great thing about the Perry Miniatures Archers is that the sprue also came with wooden spikes which were used to prevent cavalry and warriors from charging them. I used these spikes to fill the gaps at the front of my tray where the full 10 troops would have filled both filling the gaps and giving the unit a thematic vignette

 


That's another month done for the Budget Warlords


Next month: Regiments!